Selling Bee Rules and Eligibility
Note: Selling Bee reserves the right to update these rules at any time. It is ultimately the responsibility of Selling Bee Applicants to stay current with Selling Bee Rules and Regulations by visiting SellingBee.buzz.
- Applicant must be enrolled in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Applicant must reside in one of the 21 counties of Northeast Ohio: Ashland, Ashtabula, Carroll, Columbiana, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Erie, Geauga, Holmes, Huron, Lake, Lorain, Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Richland, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas, Trumbull, Wayne.
- Applicant and his/her parent/guardian must give consent to all photographs, audio recordings and video recordings taken of him/her, and all Selling Bee work presented in association with Young Entrepreneur Institute. All media recordings become the property of Young Entrepreneur Institute and may be used by Young Entrepreneur Institute for educational, instructional or promotional purposes in print, broadcast or electronic media formats now existing or in the future created. This includes but is not limited to the video entry submission. There will be no compensation for the use of any photographs, audio or video recordings or any other media.
- Video entries should be no longer than 45 seconds. It is recommended that entries be 30 seconds not less than 15 seconds. File types accepted include mp4, mov, avi, mpg, 3gp, flv, webm, wmv and mkv.
- Applicants may not work in teams. Only single applicant entries will be accepted.
- Finalists and winners may not be the child of any Young Entrepreneur Institute employee.
- The deadline for submission is November 12, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Business Pitch Criteria
- The proposed idea can be any type of business – a product business, a service business, a social enterprise that helps people or the environment, or a technology business.
- Entries will be judged on Quality of Thinking, Quality of Presentation and Overall Creativity.
- Students will compete on one of two tracks of competition: Kindergarten through 4th Grade and 5th-8th Grade.
Forty (40) finalists and ten (10) winners will receive both monetary and "in-kind" prizes. There is no cash value to "in-kind" prizes and no exchanges or refunds will be offered. Prizes are non-transferrable.
- Forty Finalists (20 from each competition track) will receive a prize package including:
- McDonald’s Gift Card
- Graeter’s Ice Cream
- Selling Bee Sticker
- Entrepreneurship Activity Book
- Ten (10) Winners will receive:
- Fire 7 Tablet with Alexa
- A Trophy
- $20 Cash
- Two (2) Great Lakes Science Center Passes
- Gift Bag with items from Cleveland State University’s Monte Ahuja College of Business, Microsoft Store at Beachwood Mall, and Fuel Up to Play 60
- Applicant will complete a registration form and submit a video, ideally 30 seconds and no longer than 45 seconds, to SellingBee.buzz. Entries that do not meet the requirements under the rules will be disqualified.
- Applicants should enter using the registration form on SellingBee.buzz or via online submission by a teacher. Online applicants will receive a message confirming receipt of their entry. Teachers will receive acknowledgement of classroom entries.
- Selling Bee entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on November 12, 2018.
- All applicants must have permission from a parent/guardian to participate in this contest. Finalist entries will be disqualified if Finalist Parent/Guardian Permission Form is not completed by November 30, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
- Submissions will be reviewed and judged according to:
- Quality of Thinking
- Quality of Presentation
- Overall Creativity
- Forty (20 from each track) finalists will be selected by a team of judges to participate in the final round. Notification will be provided via email by November 28, 2018.
- Forty (20 from each track) finalist videos will be judged by a panel of judges from the youth entrepreneurship ecosystem in Northeast Ohio. Eight winners will be selected, four from each age track.
- Finalists will also be showcased online at SellingBee.buzz for public voting. One winner in each age track will be selected based on public voting.
- Public voting begins on December 5, 2018 and ends on December 9, 2018. Visitors will have the opportunity to visit the site each day during the voting period and vote for their favorite entries. Voting is limited to one (1) vote per entry, per person, per day. (A day is defined as 24 hours from the time the visitor’s vote was cast).
- The use of robotic, automatic, programmed or similar methods or devices for voting is prohibited. Young Entrepreneur Institute and Selling Bee reserve the right to nullify all such votes and to disqualify the responsible individual from voting. Young Entrepreneur Institute and Selling Bee, in their sole discretion, also reserve the right to disqualify the affected Applicant based on any attempt by any person to vote more than the authorized number of times using any third-party proxy voting service, multiple names or invalid e-mail addresses, or any other fraudulent mechanism including but not limited to those described above. Young Entrepreneur Institute and Selling Bee use their best efforts to verify all votes. No applicant will be deemed a winner until confirmed by Young Entrepreneur Institute and Selling Bee. All decisions by Young Entrepreneur Institute and Selling Bee are final.
- Finalists will be notified by December 13, 2018 whether they have been selected as one of the ten winners.
- Winners will be acknowledged on SellingBee.buzz. Prizes will be awarded on January 13, 2019 and winning videos will be displayed on SellingBee.buzz website.