Authentic Learning Projects Business Form
What is it and why should I do it?
We need your experience! High School Real World Projects is an opportunity for a local business to partner with students in a relevant way on an authentic business problem. This is a powerful experience that fosters the entrepreneurial mindset in students while your organization benefits from free research, community engagement, and a potentially viable solution to a business challenge you face. The six week project is teacher-led and student driven. Students actively research viable solutions with technical experts in the community, providing meaningful feedback from multiple real-world perspectives.
As a business owner and entrepreneur, how many times have you said, “If only I had been exposed to entrepreneurship when I was a kid.” So, here’s your chance to share your passion and expertise–help our students gain the skills they need to succeed in life. Our young people are the bench talent for tomorrow’s workforce. Help foster the entrepreneurial mindset in a student team, and you may just benefit from their talent, creativity and fresh perspective!
How much time is required, and what do I need to do?
As a “Real World Projects” partner, we ask our local business to commit to the following:
- Introductory call or meeting with the educator to discuss project expectations and communication plan.
- Minimum one hour meeting (in person) to present your “Challenge” and answer student questions at the school or out of school program. (Be prepared to share any necessary details and history pertaining to the problem to set the team up for success.)
- Minimum commitment for three 30 minute calls (phone or video conference) for student questions and feedback during the six week project.
- Minimum one hour meeting (in person) for students to present their findings and proposed solution to the business problem.
- Optional follow-up meeting to share your progress and outcomes from utilizing student research or proposed solution.
What are the next steps?
Please answer the following case study application. Your answers may be brief. You will be able to provide additional detail during your introductory meeting with the teacher and “Challenge” presentation to the student team.
Please answer the following questions. Your answers may be brief. Upon completion of the form, we will send you more information about expectations and next steps.